Great Smoky Mountains Fishing Report 09/04/15
According to the National Weather Service Precipitation Map, it looks like there were
a few sprinkles in the Little River watershed and as of 4:30 this morning, it remains
the same level as yesterday. There was a good shower in the area of lower Deep
Creek yesterday, but that's about it for the park. All of the streams are very low.
They have actually decreased the chances of rain for the Galinburg area. At one
point there was a 60% chance for Saturday and now they are showing a 40%
chance. About all I can say is that is a scary forecast. I hope they are wrong and the
park has a better chance than that for rain.
Weather: (At Gatlinburg at about 1600 ft)
Today, There's a 20 percent chance of showers and thunderstorms after 2pm. It will
be mostly sunny with a high near 89.
Saturday, there's a 40 percent chance of showers and thunderstorms, mainly after
2pm. It will be partly sunny with a high near 85.
Smoky Mountain Stream Conditions:
The streams with links that have nearby USGS Station Real-time stream data: Click
to links to see updates:
Little River: Rate: 34 cfs at 1.10 ft.
(good wading conditions up to 250 cfs, and with extra caution up to 400 cfs)
Oconaluftee River: Rate 120 cfs at 0.99 ft.
(good wading conditions up to 500 cfs, and with extra caution up to 700 cfs)
Cataloochee Creek: Rate 22 cfs at 2.07 ft (good wading conditions up to 125 with
extra caution up to 150 cfs)
Little Pigeon River: It is low, but not to low to fish in its higher elevations.
Hazel Creek and the other larger NC streams flowing into Fontana Lake:
Hazel is very low again
Current Recommended Streams:
Most any of the streams above about the 2500 foot elevation.
Recommended Trout Flies:
Brown and White Belly Sculpins:
Hook Size 6
Blue-winged olives: 18/20 and 14
(Little BWOs, Acentrella, Diphetor 20/18's and Eastern BWOs, Drunella 14s
Slate Drakes: 10/12
Little Yellow Stoneflies: 14/16
Little Yellow Quills: 16
Needle Stoneflies: 16/18
Mahogany Duns: 18
Inch Worms: Hook size : 10/12/14
Green/Tan/Orange Hoppers: 10/12
Black Carpenter Ants: 16/18
Japanese Beetles: 16/14
Recommended Fishing Strategy:
Keep in mind, the strategies I am recommending is for the maximum odds
of catching numbers of fish. Many prefer or favor a dry fly and by all means there
isn't anything wrong with that. It's just a fact that if nothing is hatching at the time, it
reduces your odds of success. You can still probably hook some trout, just not as
many as if you fish subsurface. Of course, this is also based on using good
techniques and the right flies. Some guys don't know how to fish below the surface.
If you fished the day or two before and know where something is hatching, fish the
nymph or larva stage of it. If you haven't fished the day or two before, until I spotted
something hatching, I would fish the Slate Drake nymph. They are big swimming
nymphs that are easily caught and eaten by trout and are still hatching. If you spot
something else hatching (coming off the water), it will most likely be a Cream Cahill or
Little Yellow Quill. Change to the appropriate emerger, dun or adult imitations of the
When the Slate Drakes, Mahogany Duns, and BWOs are hatching, there will be a
spinner fall late in the day. Often, you can catch more trout fishing the spinner fall
quicker than you can during the hatch. Change to the spinner imitation of the mayfly.
Little Yellow stoneflies are hatching, but of course, these hatches take place during
the evenings. All stoneflies crawl out of the water to hatch. Fishing a Little Yellow
Stonefly nymph, very late in the afternoon near sunset should produce. If you see
the stoneflies depositing their eggs on the surface of the water, switch to the adult
imitation of the stonefly.
Tips for Beginners:
Don't let anyone intimidate you by contending that fly fishing is more difficult to learn
and master than other types of fishing. It isn't.
Tips for the Self Proclaimed Experts:
Whatever Hits Me:
Thank you for visiting our website
Copyright 2015 James Marsh
Please enter your e-mail address in
the box to sign up for a free
subscription to the Perfect Fly "Fishing
Journal". It includes feature articles on
blue-ribbon destinations , fly fishing
techniques, and many other types of
articles of interest to any fly angler. You
can opt out at any time. If you decide
you don't want to receive our
information, just change your status by
clicking at the bottom of an e-mail we
send you in the "Remove" box. We will
not sell or give your e-mail address to
If you haven't signed up
previously, please sign up for our
Free Perfect Fly Fishing Journal.
Options For Selecting Flies:
1. Email us (firstname.lastname@example.org)
with the dates you will be fishing the park
and we will send you a list of our fly
suggestions. Please allow up to 24 hours for
2. Call us at 800-594-4726 and we will help
you decide which flies you need.
3. Call or email us
with a budget for flies and we will select
them and get them to you in time for your trip.
Shipping is free in the U. S. for all orders of
any size. Orders over $50 are shipped free
via Priority Mail.
NEW Perfect Fly "Pro Line" Fly Rods:
I will assure you, that you cannot buy a finer fly rod than this for the price.
It is $195.00 including the case, in 4, 5, 6 and 7 weights. It is a 4 piece, 9
foot fly rod that is equal or better than most $400.00 fly rods on the
Click Here To Check Out The Details
Fly Fishing The Great Smoky
Mountains National Park:
(Year-round Dry Fly Fishing) This new
DVD (2 Disc Set) provides over 4 hours
of fly fishing for trout in the park. See
all of the streams and witness the
action. Learn everything you need to
know in order to successfully catch
brown, brook and rainbow trout on the
fly. Fishing methods, strategies and
much more are covered. Learn all
about the insects and other food the
trout eat and how to imitate it.
Techniques for each season of the
year are covered.
Chick Here For More Information
Perfect Fly "Leaders"
Over fourteen (14)
different sizes and types
of leaders. We also have
71/2 foot small stream
leaders in several sizes.
Click Here To Check
Out The Details
|New At Perfect Fly:
Perfect Fly "No-See-Um" 100%
Fluorocarbon tippet. We finally
got everything worked out.
Available NOW in sizes 3X, 4X,
5X and 6X in 25 yard spools.
A Key Feature of these
sunglasses is the side
windows that help cut the
down the glare.
Perfect Fly Polarized Fishing
Would you like a $200.00 pair of
sunglasses for $49.95? Here they are:
......Spring Loaded titanium frames keep the
glasses firmly and comfortably in place.
-----High Quality Lenses are made in the
United States of America
-----Yellow - Amber Lenses work under most